Friday, January 15, 2010

Did the Bruins even have a game Saturday afternoon?

...'Cause they didn't show up!


I didn’t think the Bruins could possibly repeat their horrible performance against the New York Rangers this past Saturday, but they did. In fact, they were worse than they were against Chicago. Admittedly, I didn’t expect much going into the game; I actually predicted a 2-1 loss. I wasn’t too far off since the final was 3-1 Rangers.


The Bruins received some bad news early in the day as General Manager Peter Chiarelli addressed the media to publicly announce that their #1 center, Marc Savard, would miss 3-4 weeks with a partially torn MCL. I can handle that news because I realize it could have been a lot worse; just ask Cam Neely about knee injuries. The Bruins recalled Trent Whitfield from Providence for his second tour of duty this season with the parent club. I really wish they Bruins would call up either Jamie Arniel or Zach Hamill. I realize they aren’t as developed as what the Bruins would like them to be, but I’m sick of these career AHL journeyman like Shitfield being recalled and not alleged young studs like Arniel and Hamill.


The Bruins came out and played a real decent first period, all things considered. New York, however, got on the board first as rookie defenseman Michael del Zotto made a beautiful rush through the neutral zone and then into the offensive zone, split between Zdeno Chara and Derek Morris, and slid a backhand through Tim Thomas’ legs. I was so disgusted that a defenseman pulled that off against the reigning Norris Trophy award winner. I know del Zotto is going to be a stud, but come on now. It was enough to make my stomach turn. The Bruins had their chance to tie the game as Marco Sturm had a breakaway while killing a penalty, was tripped up in the process, and was rewarded with a penalty shot. Sturm dosen’t have the best career numbers with regard to penalty shots, so I wasn’t getting my hopes up since he was going up against one of the best goalies in the business in Henrik Lundqvist. Sturm tried going five hole and Lundqvist squeezed the pads to deny him. It was made even more annoying since literally all of 325 must have taken a bus from Manhattan. I had to listen to the “Let's Go Rangers” chant. I was one of only a few donning a Bruins jersey. The score remained 1-0 after 1 period of play.


The Bruins came out for the second period and played what was probably one of their worst periods in years. They were outshot 21-3 (yes, 21-3), and they didn’t get their first shot on goal of the period until Danny Paille shot a weak wrister from the off wing with about 4 minutes and change to go. I was shocked there wasn’t a mock cheer for it; then again, who am I kidding, since the Garden is loaded with bandwagoners who probably didn’t even notice. The Rangers doubled their lead as Brandon Dubinsky took the feed from Erik Christenson and was able to put home his own rebound and tuck it by Thomas. It was tough to put the blame on Thomas for that one since Johnny Boychuk was supposed be covering Dubinsky, but Boychuk fell down in the corner and by the time he got up and into position, it was too late. I was so disgusted and even thought about leaving at that point, but I had made plans with a fellow season ticket holder to go out afterwards, and I didn’t want to make him feel as though he had to leave. I was really disgusted in the Bruins play; there was just no energy whatsoever. In my opinion, the only one who was working hard was Tim Thomas. The only time I got remotely excited was when Steve Begin grabbed Sean Avery by the neck and threw him to the ice for being behind Tim Thomas in the crease, and that was honestly the first time I even noticed Avery on the ice. The boys went into the room down 2-0, and I knew they had zero chance of even tying this one up, nevermind winning.


The Bruins came out flat in the third and the Rangers padded the lead to 3 as Erik Christenson took the feed from Brandon Dubinsky and ripped it top shelf. I was so disgusted. It didn’t help the cause because, as I had mentioned earlier, my section was full of obnoxious Ranger fans, but I had this one huge guy sitting next to me who was literally on top of me the whole game eating his huge tub of popcorn and downing his souvenir soda. He also had horrible body odor. He asked me how I got my tickets and I said that I'm a season ticket holder, so that must have made him feel as though he needed to one up me or something because he busted out his cell phone and showed me pictures of him at the all the Patriots and Red Sox games he has been at either in Massachusetts or on the road. I know the game sucked, but I think I’d rather watch the Bruins then look through this loser's cell phone pictures of his fat ass standing in a stadium. As I was walking down the stairs to say bye and shake hands with my fellow section 325 friend Matt, Dennis Wideman broke up the shutout to make it 3-1. I didn’t see it, nor did I care. I kept going toward the exits. I could not have cared less. I had already seen my fair share of bad hockey. I had to laugh that by the third period, Claude Julien’s $4M boyfriend, Michael Ryder, had been demoted to the fourth line; you know things are bad when your team is having a difficult time burying the puck and you demote one of your more talented goal scorers to the fourth line in Steve Begin and Shawn Thornton land. I’m glad I have a week and a half break from the Garden. What a disgrace!


The Line Combinations were as follows…

  • Blake Wheeler-David Krejci-Miroslav Satan
  • Marco Sturm-Vladimir Sobotka-Mark Recchi
  • Milan Lucic-Steve Begin-Michael Ryder
  • Daniel Paille-Trent Whitfield-Shawn Thornton
  • Dennis Wideman-Zdeno Chara
  • Matt Hunwick-Derek Morris
  • Adam McQuaid-Johnny Boychuk

Scoring Summary…

  • NYR: Michael del Zotto assisted by Brandon Dubinsky and Daniel Girardi
  • NYR: Brandon Dubinsky assisted by Erik Christenson
  • NYR: Erik Christenson assisted by Marion Gaborik and Brandon Dubinsky
  • BOS: Dennis Wideman assisted by Zdeno Chara and David Krejci

Bruins Goal Videos…

  • Wideman: Champagne popping scene in Wedding Crashers

Warmup music…

  • Foo Fighters - “Pretender”
  • Disturbed - “Indestructable”
  • Pearl Jam - “Rearview Mirror”
  • U2: - “Elevation”

No comments:

Post a Comment